At this time every year, we make resolutions for the future. Often times those resolutions are about getting healthy, losing weight, eating better, and other healthful adjustments to daily living. Unfortunately, shortly after these resolutions are made they are discontinued or placed “on hold”. This year it is possible to make the change and stick to it. All it takes is following the 5 steps of the “stages of change” within the “transtheoretical”, or behavior change, model. These steps include pre-contemplation, contemplation, preparation, action, and maintenance.
- Pre-contemplation- Unprepared to make a change in your behavior.
- Contemplation- Determine the change you want to make in your life.
- Preparation- Collect all of the things you need to make your resolution.
- Action- Make your change and keep it.
- Maintenance- Keep your resolution for 6 months. You have finally reached maintenance.